By Miriam Ankerbrand, Group Events Coordinator
One of my best memories as a teen was going with my church to a nearby camp for a Christian retreat weekend. The teachings learned over that weekend have resonated in my mind to this day almost 40 years later! Now as an adult, I look forward to those opportunities! Why? Here are 5 key reasons:
- It gets you away from the ordinary, everyday routine. We live in a world full of distractions and busyness. Teens especially today are far too busy. (See here how to help stressed and busy teens.) When you are able to put aside all the distractions, you are able to focus and reflect on those important things and reconnect with God!
- You can enjoy God’s creation. When God created this world, He gave Adam and Eve a garden to live in, not a house. Not only is being outdoors relaxing, but it’s good for us! (See here how nature can boost child development.) In the midst of enjoying His creation, it’s so much easier to sense God’s presence with you and spend time with Him in prayer. Your connection with God grows through your connection to His creation.
- Building relationships. People today are hungry for authentic relationships. At retreats, I’ve seen teens come not knowing the others who are part of their group, but at the end of the retreat, they’ve made deep connections with others, resulting in hugs and tears because they have to part from each other again. In a Christian camp setting, people are more relaxed and open, resulting in connecting with others in deep relationship.
- It brings refreshment. With our busy lives, we don’t take time to care for ourselves. When you take intentional time to get away and just enjoy yourself and relax, it brings great benefits to your mental well-being. I often go home from a retreat tired. But it’s a “good” tired. I may be tired, but my heart and mind are filled with the wonderful things I learned and experienced at the retreat.
- It will impact your relationship with Jesus! Probably the most important thing on this list is this! When you take intentional time with Jesus, how can it do anything but improve your relationship with Him? God desires us to talk with Him and spend time with Him. A Christian retreat weekend is a perfect way to accomplish this!
At Joy El, we love hosting Christian retreat groups because we know what an impact it can have in a person’s life! God can do some of His best work when you take the time to focus on Him! If you would like to learn more about holding a Christian retreat at Joy El, please call us! It might just be the first step to a life-changing weekend for you!
Upcoming Joy El Events Dessert and Sauerkraut Dinner Home School Retreat