By Miriam Ankerbrand, Group Events Coordinator
What makes retreat “Wonderful?” For some it’s the food. For others it’s activities and yet other it’s being outdoors. Some are just glad for time away from the ordinary everyday life.
Recently, some group leaders told me what made their retreats Wonderful.
- “We love coming here year after year because you keep things current and up-to-date.”
- “Your facilities are fantastic and the food is always good.”
- “We feel the presence of God here and know that when we come here for our retreat, He will work and move among us!”
- “We come back to your camp because of the excellence service you give. Each staff member shows our students the love of God when we are there and it makes a huge impact on them!”
- “We have been blessed every time we’ve been here by seeing God change lives during our retreat.”
At Joy El, we take great care to remove distractions that might interfere with a guest’s ability to encounter God. Our 4.12 Leadership Training Program Students learn quickly that through good service and care for others, that lives can be changed for eternity. We regularly pray for our groups; they are part of our Joy El family! We strive to give the best service possible and pray for those opportunities for life-change through a personal encounter with God.
It happens again and again! Recently, there was a small group here for a retreat and five of their youth made the decision to begin a relationship with Jesus! “It was a good retreat!” their leader told me. “Five more brothers and sisters in Christ this weekend!”
“Just a good retreat?” I responded. “I’d call that a WONDERFUL retreat!”
In Psalm 62:1 it reads, “Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.” Retreats are a place where you can get away and truly feel God’s presence; you can rest in Him. When that happens, it brings about the life-change that we hope to see for each person who comes to Joy El!
Upcoming Joy El Events Home School Retreat Bible Adventure Weekend