By Aaron E. Ziebarth, Executive Director
We just completed our Father Son weekend retreat. One dad told me, “My son told me this is the best thing we have ever done together. I have spent a lot of money on things, we even went scuba diving, but this Christian Camp is the best ever. I am so glad we got to spend this time together.” He was excited.
And God did some amazing things during the weekend. But let me back up a few years . . . Over twenty years ago, Stephanie and I were hosting a Christian family camp Retreat in another state and our speaker for the family camp was Tom Harmon. During one of the sessions Tom told us, “It took me 10 years to learn how to pray, and I am going to tell you a few things I learned.”
It got our attention and changed the way we pray. Specifically for our children. Tom shared this with the fathers in a session specifically for them. I am including them below. Follow this link to Tom’s website for more resources.
- Their salvation.
- Their mate.
- That they would fall in love with God’s Word.
- That God would keep them from the evil one.
- That they would have a conscience void of offence before God and man.
- That their character would be more valuable to them than their credentials.
- That they would stand up for what is right even if it means standing alone.
- That they would be kept from the love of money.
- That they would be kept morally pure.
- That they would have the heart of a servant.
- That eternity would burn in their hearts.
- That sin would always be distasteful to them and that they would be broken easily over sin.
- That they would love each other.
- That they would trust God with their parents and not allow rebellion to set in.
- Regardless the hardship, that they may never become bitter against God.
- That our boys would be glad to be boys and our girls glad to be girls.
Additional Resources from Tom Harmon: